Wednesday, April 29, 2009

burgers & cupcakes

I'm going to veer from my usual hilarious blog posts to write one that is a little more serious. This one is about something very near and dear to me. Burgers. And cupcakes.


Kevin and I are on the search for the "perfect burger" in NYC. We have eaten burgers at numerous places around the city. Last Saturday, on our way to K-Mart to buy an air conditioner, we were looking for a place to stop and get lunch. We happened upon a little joint called burgers & cupcakes. Another thing that you should know about me is that I LOVE cupcakes. So much, in fact, that I'm going to post a picture of some beautiful cupcakes.


So I lied, and it's a bunch of cupcakes. Sue me! It still looks delicious.

Anyway, just thinking about cupcakes reminds me of burgers & cupcakes. Kevin and I check out the menu on the door and decide the price is okay. We go in and take a seat. A waiter comes over to greet us. He takes our order. I get a burger with bacon and cheddar cheese. Kevin gets a chicken sandwich.

When the order comes out, Kevin comments, "This looks more like a slider."


Notice that in the first picture of Kevin's sandwich, my hand is significantly larger than the "slider." Keep in mind that I have dainty hands.



In the second picture, we see just how small the chicken is that was on that sandwich. Perhaps they should market it as a chicklette sandwich. Or a baby hatchling sandwich. For those of you who don't already know, a baby chicken is called a chick. And a chicklette is an even smaller version of a baby chicken. Usually they're about the size of a peep. Maybe they should call it a peep sandwich.

Need I say more? We were thoroughly disappointed. My burger wasn't much better. We just don't have photographic evidence.

So, our starving tummies wanted more after we finished our sandwiches. We decided to try the cupcakes. After all, burgers & cupcakes must surely have good cupcakes if their burgers are sub-par, right?

Right?

Hmm... I think you see where I'm going with this.

So back to the menu we looked at. I noticed right away that they sell their cupcakes for $2.50. They also sell a baker's dozen of mini cupcakes for $30.00. Now, a baker's dozen for those who are unaware, means 13. A quick math lesson tells us that...

12 x $2.50 = $30.00
13 x $2.50 = $32.50

So, clearly, you're getting a deal. An extra cupcake for free, right?

But... the menu says, a bakers dozen MINI cupcakes. Who cares about an extra cupcake if they're all small.

We decide to go with two cupcakes anyway. In the time that we've been thinking about this, we notice that our server has walked out the door to the restaurant. The other server has left as well. There is one person left working in the place, and she's behind the register, her two-inch long, acrylic nails frighten us a little, and we'd rather she stayed there. We wait a few minutes. Our server does not return. We decide to ask the woman with the long nails for them.


We order two cupcakes anyway. Red velvet. It's one of my favorites.

The cupcakes come. We discover why the cupcakes are priced the way they are. ALL of the cupcakes are miniature. Kind of disappointing for a restaurant called burgers & CUPCAKES.

Anyway, they taste good, as the sandwiches did. But the service and the portion sizes left much to be desired. Our server never returns, so we ask the woman with the nails to give us our check. She hands it to me from behind without leaving the register. Kevin's comment, "Probably not the best way to deliver that."

We leave with a bad taste in our mouths, and not from the food.

BTW... our favorite burger so far is still the Corner Cafe on Broadway in the East Village. If anyone has any suggestions for us, let us know.

1 comment:

  1. the corner cafe is good! I've been to some great joints, but can't remember all the names. mmm... there's nothing that really compares to eating in NYC... so many options... so many stories. When I visit (soon) we will go EAT.

    ReplyDelete