Friday, April 17, 2009

Professors, at it again...

Yesterday, I had an assignment due for my difficult class, Complex Variables. The professor for this class, let's call him Salami, has a tendency to be kind of a d-bag. During class, he likes to tell us how stupid we are and that we should have learned a lot more in the first semester. That sort of stuff. Back to the story though.

The assignment was due at 6, and he had office hours from 3 to 5. Because the class is particularly difficult, many people tend to show up for his office hours. Yesterday, there were about eight of us. He is also teaching an undergraduate class this semester, and he uses his office hours for both classes. There was one guy there to see him from that class.

He opened his door at about 3:15, and another student from the undergrad class emerged. He looked at the group in the hallway and asked, "Is anyone here to pick anything up for [insert undergrad class name]?"

This is how the conversation between him and the boy from the undergrad class went:

BOY: I wanted to talk to you.

SALAMI: Are you here to pick up a test or contest your grade?

BOY: No. I just have a question about the final.

SALAMI: Well, I'm not going to tell you anything about the exam, and I have a good reason. I haven't made it yet.

BOY: I wanted to ask if it would be possible to take it early or late.

SALAMI: Why? There is an exam schedule and you're expected to adhere to it. What reason could you have to not take it on time? Tell me here. It can't be anything personal. So you should be able to say it right now.

(All of the grad students in the hall were visibly fighting back laughing out loud at this exchange.)

BOY: Well, it's going to sound a little silly. I'm going to be out of the country the weekend before, competing in a paper airplane contest.

(A few hushed chuckles erupt.)


BOY: Seriously. I'm not making this up.

SALAMI: Well, we can talk about it later.

BOY: Should I come back to your office hours on Monday?

SALAMI: No, we can talk about it on Wednesday, when you finish with the exam.

I don't feel that this story needs any commentary. It works well enough on its own. However, donations will be accepted to help cover his international flight. E-mail me for information.

2 comments:

  1. I love how your professor tells you how stupid you are. That is truly inspiring and he sounds like someone who really loves his job.

    A paper airplane contest? WTF? Leave it to those (stupid) math people to be involved in something like that. That reminds me of this horrible yo-yo contest I saw on ESPN2 a while back...a bunch of creeps tossing a yo-yo around and doing "amazing" yo-yo tricks. Is that what you do for fun when your parents lock you in the basement while all the other kids are out playing baseball and/or experimenting with drugs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS-can you please blog more? It brightens my life.

    ReplyDelete